Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Munich Inquisition


The last few days have been hell to me and in truth I’m not so sure I’ve completely recovered yet. No, I haven’t been sick or unwell health-wise. If you’re still lost, I’m referring to Saturday’s UEFA Champions League final at the Fussball Arena, Munich. Good guess, I’m not a Chelsea fan. The events that transpired on the night left me sick, drained, dejected, disgusted, I could go on and on.

How Bayern Munich lost that match and the chance to become European champions for the fifth time still beats me. Seriously, how did that happen? You may be wondering why I’m getting this personal or to put it bluntly, why am I ‘catching feelings?’ Simple! I’ve been a Bayern fan for as long as I can remember and so in a way, I felt hard done by. I still do.

Back to the football itself, Bayern dominated possession, pressed and pressed, got the breakthrough goal in the 83rd minute then totally lost the plot. Five minutes later, Chelsea clawed themselves back to take the match to extra time, where Arjen Robben contrived to fluff a penalty (and he’s perfected that art) and almost half an hour later, Chelsea were lifting the trophy, as I squirmed and winced on the couch in utter disbelief. I’m not going to begrudge the winners of the night, so congratulations to Chelsea Football Club, 2012 European Champions. I’ve been trying to figure out what went wrong, hoping that in future the same won’t befall any of my teams and I came up with this:

1.      Arjen Robben
Undoubtedly the villain of the match (and by extension, the season). The fact that Bayern Munich finished the season as the ‘almost’ champion in all the competitions they took part in is largely down to this Dutch attacker. Now, Robben when fit is one of the best players in the world. He has this ability to turn on the style with individual brilliance and change the course of a game at any point. Obviously he was expected to deliver and if he delivered in that final, this post would have been different. Somehow after wasting so many chances, he managed to throw away the penalty they had been awarded in extra time when the easiest and logical thing to do would be to bury it. That was the turning point and really, Bayern were never going to win after that. You would think that miss will forever haunt him, but no, he’s got plenty more, like when Bayern faced Dortmund away in the Bundesliga a few weeks ago. With Dortmund leading 1-0, Bayern were awarded a penalty in the 84th minute and up stepped Robben and the outcome was obvious. He missed, and effectively ended any hopes they had of piping the champions to the title. I doubt whether Bert van Marwijk will let him take a penalty for the Dutch in the Euros even in a match they are running riot 6-0.

2.      Jupp Heynckes
When Jupp was named Bayern manager sometime back I wondered why they did that. Digging up a bit, I learned that he had won the Champions League with Real Madrid in 1998 so I thought, well, he must have been a decent coach. At this point though, I have to emphasize the fact that I’ve never really liked him. The final just further vindicated my dislike of him. With David Alaba and Holger Badstuber suspended, Heynckes opted to replace them with Contento at left back and Anatoliy Tymoschuk at center back. When I saw the line-up I had no problem with Contento but felt Tymoschuk shouldn’t have been deployed out of position in a match of this magnitude. I know he did well regardless, but just after Bayern had taken the lead, the manager made a substitute that did not bemuse me one bit, Daniel Van Buyten for Thomas Mueller. Really?

Surely if you have Van Buyten, a central defender and a potential goal threat, available for selection, why not start with him? In the match Bayern had like 20 corners or so without actually threatening. With Van Buyten a proven aerial threat, I can’t help but wonder ‘what if…?’ Still on the said substitution, you’re leading by a goal in a final with roughly only 10 minutes to go. You then take off your goal scorer and your most effective goal threat and replace him with a defender? Fine, maybe you want to protect your lead. Is that necessary though, when your opponents have been playing in their own half all along? At the moment I thought that having broken Chelsea’s resistance, Bayern would even pile more pressure as opposed to stepping off the gas and allowing Chelsea to up the tempo. And it was evident during extra time when the Bavarians had overloaded their defense and ran out of options and ideas due to the absence of Mueller.

By midway in the second half, Mario Gomez was evidently jaded and subdued, but rather than take the bold step and replace him with Ivica Olic, Jupp let him prolong his profligacy in front of goal. Yes, fine, Olic did eventually come on, but it was late and he was played on the left, where he was always going to be less than effective. Had he been the center forward, the Croat would have been more a nuisance to the Chelsea rear-guard than Gomez was, and who knows?

Jupp Heynckes is a respected manager and maybe rightly so. Do I think he’s right for Bayern Munich? Hardly. The fact that you’re in charge of the biggest club in Germany yet you’re outsmarted thrice by a rival manager in the same season shows you don’t quite cut it. Bayern were beaten 1-0 home and away in the Bundesliga then humiliated 5-2 in the DFB Pokal (German Cup) final by one team, Borussia Dortmund. Being on the receiving end of all that sure doesn’t make you a great coach, and I’m sorry but at Bayern Munich, that’s unacceptable!

I would have gone on but enough of spitting brimstone. People say that it had been written that Chelsea were going to win the Champions League, and they are probably right. What I’m not sure about is where this was written and who wrote it. Finals are won and lost, but also what you do during the game actually decides whether or not you win. I choose to think Bayern Munich bottled this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment