Friday 11 January 2013

Give Me The Stage..I'll Perform


Happy New Year to you all. I want the Harambee Stars job. Yes, you heard that right. I want to be the coach (I prefer manager) of the Kenya national senior football team. And no, it’s not just empty (bordering gibberish) start-of-the-year talk. 

In a week’s time Africa’s crème de la crème will be in South Africa to square it out for the chance to be called Champions of Africa in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations extravaganza. Predictably, for us Kenyans we will have to adopt other nations to support as we sit back and marvel at the quality of talent on display down south. Exciting, huh? Nothing could be further from the truth as our national anthem will not be sung even once before any match at the tournament. But hey, what’s the big fuss? We are quite used to this, right?

When I heard on the twitter streets a few days ago that the Football Kenya Federation (FKF) were on the hunt for the coach of the national team, I thought, ‘why don’t they give me that job?’ In fact, I instantly tweeted that I wanted the job (well, first of all I said that the name ‘Harambee Stars’ would have to go). My friend John Aggrey, who is an expert on local football, told me to prepare my CV and submit it to FKF for consideration. To which I replied that they should probably check my twitter timeline and read my thoughts on the game on my blog. Admittedly I just said that in my usual attempt at online humor to appear funny and gain followers (I desperately need to hit the one thousand followers mark soon). Later on though, I thought about it and realized that just maybe, there could have been an element of seriousness in that spate of tweeting. 

Harambee Stars needs a fresh maverick approach, and in fact this is not only limited to the national team, but should be extended to the running of Kenyan football in general. We need to redefine ourselves and the kind of football we would like to be associated with. That is the first step in making progress as a footballing nation. Somebody from a faraway country should be able to, by just having a 3-minute glance of the screen, say that ‘Yes, that is the Harambee Stars playing’. Yes, identity is what I’m talking about. What type of football do we play? What kind of formation do we employ? What color is our home jersey? Which kit manufacturer provides our playing and training kits? In which stadium do we play our home matches? I’m an avid football fan but even I can’t answer all of those questions. How much more difficult do you think it is for an average fan or even a foreign football expert to try and answer that?

Of course I’m assuming that the next to be installed as the coach of Stars will be tasked with steering the team to through to the wilderness of the qualifiers and safely to the promised land that is the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Poor bastard, I pity him (even if it happens to be me, ha!). It simply won’t come to pass. By the way the World Cup is actually being held next year. Sorry, had to put that into that dramatic context. In 2003, Kenyans were ranked as the most optimistic people in the world (I think). Even if that unprecedented optimism were to be lifted to this year, it wouldn’t be enough to earn us that elusive World Cup ticket. That’s the damning reality. Things are that bad. And precisely I do not envy whoever will take up that job (well, and also because I want it for myself).
In July last year, after Spain cantered to triumph at the Euros, I wrote something about how I thought their victory would (or should) impact on the football world. Basically I vociferously endorsed La FuriaRoja’s style and pointed that every team at every level of the game had to emulate that. That is what I would push for Kenya to adopt. The problem and maybe what would ultimately deny me the job, is that for it to be successful, it would require the utmost degree of excruciating patience. Let me ask you, describe the football that Harambee Stars play. Don’t worry, I’ve got all day, I’ll wait. This is sad, but that’s what we should rectify. We have to play football that has purpose, football that is consistent irrespective of who’s playing, football that is tactically sound, and ultimately football that is superior to our opponents. My vision of this football (heavily borrowed from Spain) is this: When we have the ball, they don’t have the ball. You need the ball to score. They can’t score, but we can. When we pass that ball (in a circle) among us, they have to chase. They become tired (and bored) and leave spaces. We run into those spaces, receive the ball and give it. Then inculcating our technical ability and individual brilliance, we create chances and the goals come. When we lose the ball, we hunt it back as a pack (considering we’re less tired), retrieve it and repeat the cycle.
It is easier said than done, of course. The real test is finding the players, getting them to bond (they need to play and fight for each other), teach them on paper this style of football and painstakingly make them repeat and repeat the knowledge imparted on them on the training ground till they can hack it competitively on the pitch. If this can be achieved, then you’ll never have to worry about tactics. So long as the tactics you opt for before a match has a goalkeeper in it, this will always come good for you and your team. Of course this can only be done with a proper youth set-up in place. I say youth because well, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Heck, it might turn against you and bite you, give you rabies and turn you into another dog. True story.
In this respect, I would push for the creation of a national football school. Yes, school. Majorly it is a football school, but ethics and life skills will be incorporated too. Footballers need to realize that they are ambassadors of their families, communities, towns, counties, the nation and humanity in general. Alternative, no, also, it should be imperative for the country’s elite and stable football clubs to establish these youth schools of their own, operating under the above blueprint. I’m talking about the GorMahias, the AFC Leopards, the Tuskers, theSofapakas of this country. After all, aren’t clubs in existence to provide the national team with a perpetual pool of talented professional footballers? Absolutely, thank you.
I can’t elucidate further than that for now, I wish I could, but then again it would be too long for you to read. Look, in the next 8-10 years or so, if we don’t change we aren’t going to achieve anything that we only dream of. I know I’m barely into my twenties, but why not give me the job for that period and let me build what will sustain you for a lifetime at least? Yes, I have no coaching experience, but that’s largely due to the fact that nobody my age would have ever gotten time to try that. I have something that you’re going to turn millions of stones to unearth…a unique concoction of football passion and brains. Anyway, all said and done, I’m just a boy who loves football and my country and wants us to be counted among the best. That’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment